North Woolwich Old
This is the
rear of the old station, which was built in 1854 to replace an earlier wooden building
provided when the railway to North Woolwich was opened in 1847. This
1854 building continued in use until 1979, by which time it was far too
big for its purpose, delapidated and scarred with graffiti. British Rail
built a modern booking office on a small part of the land which had once
been the South Goods Yard, and boarded up the old station. Five years
later, helped by a grant from the London Docklands Development
Corporation, the old building was renovated and brought back into use as
a museum of the Great Eastern Railway.
RDHR is now proposing to expand the function of the museum to cover the
story of London Rail – the commuter and local lines which have been
essential arteries of the city for well over a century.
Date of picture: 10 December 2006