Entering Connaught Tunnel

7m65ch
measurements

The tunnel is 549 metres long, and was opened in June 1876 to take
the railway under a planned water link between the Royal Victoria Dock 
and the new Royal Albert Dock, which was then being built to its east.
The tunnel was paid for by the dock company and vested in the Great 
Eastern Railway. (The Royal Albert Dock and its connection to the 
Royal Victoria Dock were duly opened in May 1880.)

Date of picture: 10 December 2006   next