museum is based in the former station building at North Woolwich,
and has concentrated on the history of the Great Eastern Railway
British Rail closed the building (which was very delapidated)
in 1979, and replaced it with a smaller, modern structure alongside.
But five years later, after restoration, it was reopened by HM Queen
Mother as the Old Station Museum, run by the London Borough of Newham
and containing a collection dedicated to the history of the Great
Although the railway is currently closed, the museum
is open during the winter on Saturdays and Sundays (1300-1700h).