The Custom House to North Woolwich Railway was opened on
14 June 1847, at a time when the north bank of the Thames in
this area was entirely rural. The real intention was to bring
a railway to or at least near the town of Woolwich,
on the other side of the river. Originally the Eastern Counties
& Thames Junction Railway, the little company was bought by
the Eastern Counties Railway before the line opened.

An hourly passenger service was provided to Bishopsgate and the line 
soon prospered, carrying passengers into London who had crossed 
the Thames by ferry from Woolwich. In 1854 a new station building, 
designed by William Tite, was provided for the growing 
terminus. This is our museum today.